We believe that every learner has potential and our purpose at IMFS is to create a learning environment which fosters motivation and aspiration and allows every student to flourish. Learning is at the centre of all that we do and we aim to encourage a commitment to learning that is not based solely on the acquisition of knowledge but on the development of skills, attributes and values needed to encourage life-long learning.
Through our Teaching and Learning strategy we aim to:
- Ensure that all teachers have bespoke Continuing Professional Development so that classroom practice is in line with the expectations for ‘outstanding’ lessons and that pedagogy is current and innovative
- Encourage reflection and refinement of teaching practice through accurate assessment which is the foundation for future planning and teaching
- Teach with common goals to ensure consistency across all curriculum areas
- Provide a framework to develop literacy, numeracy and metacognition skills across the curriculum
- Ensure that all teachers plan and deliver lessons which meet the needs of all students within the classroom
- Teach with high aspiration in a classroom environment which is positive, caring and committed to bringing about the best outcomes for all
- Develop autonomous learners who understand the importance of their education in achieving their life goals
- Develop learners who are engaged and enthusiastic who have a thirst for knowledge and challenge.
Our KS3 curriculum not only focuses on challenging study in the traditional areas of English, Mathematics, Science and the Humanities but introduces our language of Spanish. Students are also given the chance to choose to follow some their own particular interests, in consultation with home, from an early stage as we develop a more personalised and flexible approach beyond the core subjects. This means that a student may decide, for example, to follow a heavily arts based set of subjects for a term and then switch to a sports based programme later in the year.
Our core curriculum are the compulsory subjects that all of our Key Stage 3 students are required to study each week. These subjects are complemented by our extended curriculum, giving our students the flexibility to follow some of their own interests from an early stage.
English is taught with a strong emphasis on literature; full novels, plays and poetry collections are at the heart of our English curriculum as teachers and students use these as springboards into wider English writing and language skills. Mathematics and Science are based around practical, real world, scenarios with new concepts always linked to their place in wider society and the world of work. Science teaching involves at least one full practical lesson each week with the emphasis on students learning through experience and independent investigation. Our Modern Languages (Spanish and Mandarin) lessons focus heavily upon the ability to understand and speak a second, or third, language with confidence and fluency.
Geography, History and RE lessons focus upon independent investigative research with students encouraged to test and question established thinking so that they take full ownership of their learning. SMSC is part of our core curriculum as we believe that the Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural education of our young people is a core to how they will develop to become successful learners, confident individuals and responsible citizens.